What qualities do you think contribute to being a great leader?
In a moment I will share with you what I believe are the top 21 qualities of a great leader.
Throughout my leadership career of over 20 years, I continue to dedicate time to learn, study and read about other successful leaders. Leadership is something I am extremely passionate about as is psychology. How and why people do what they do. What is it that makes a great leader and why? Why do some people desire to lead and be a leader? Are we called to lead and if so why? I do believe that we are called to lead, whether we listen to and accept the call is a different matter.
My book shelf is overflowing with books from authors and leaders like John C Maxwell, Stephen Covey, Darren Hardy, and Brendon Burchard. Reading a book each week has become a habit I thoroughly enjoy, and has helped me to write my first book. I highly encourage you to adopt a similar practice too. As parents we can greatly influence our children and enhance their lives with reading and making this a daily habit.
Do Leader’s ever stop learning? I happen to think not. I believe leadership and learning together go hand in hand. If you want to become a better leader, read, study and be around other great leaders and be willing to admit you don’t know everything. Stay humble and hungry to learn!
I’m grateful for the many mentors and leaders I continue to learn and study from including but not limited to:
- John C Maxwell – Author of “Developing the leader within you” and “Developing leaders around you” to name just a few!
- Brian Tracy – Author of “Eat That Frog”
- Darren Hardy – Author of “The Compound Effect” and Publisher of Success magazine.
- Brendon Burchard – Author of “The Charge”
- Jack Canfield – Author of “The Success Principles”
What qualities do think a great leader has?
Here are 21 qualities I believe make a great leader!
1. Vision, great leaders have a vision and are not afraid to share it.
2. Seek to pull out the best in others, they raise people up.
3. Share information openly.
4. Invite others to share their ideas.
5. Recognition, they reward and acknowledge good performance.
6. Educate, teach and train others.
7. Listen, they listen more than speak.
8. Walk amongst their people.
9. High expectations of themselves and others.
10. Lead by example.
11. Learning, they themselves no matter how high up the leadership ladder they climb they seek to learn.
12. Coaches, good leaders are good coaches. Not all star performers are good coaches.
13. They empower others.
14. They facilitate a discussion and allow others to express their point of view.
15. Creativity, they welcome creativity and innovation.
16. They align the right people in the right positions.
17. They are humble, they do not seek to take recognition for themselves.
18. They are BIG thinkers, out of the box visionaries.
19. They are not afraid to delegate tasks. Delegation is strength not weakness.
20. Feedback is welcomed. The do not oppress ideas or creativity they foster it.
21. Knowing, they know when its time to kick it up a notch they are not satisfied with Status Quo.
BONUS #22 Great leaders, develop other great leaders.
BONUS #23 Leadership and learning go hand in hand. Leaders never stop learning!.
Who are some of your favorite leaders and why?
- Write down 5 qualities you admire most about specific leaders who influence you?
- What qualities do they have that you want to model?
- If you could model these qualities, what would that do for you, your business and those around you?
Be sure to get my monthly ‘Leadership In Excellence’ FREE newsletter and 6 week complimentary coaching course by including your first name and email address in the box provided to the right!
Share your comments below and share this post with anyone you think can benefit.
Love. Serve. Lead Make a Difference Leave a Legacy!